Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Satisfaction in the Little Things


 

The sun was beating down on me as perspiration beaded from my face.  Occasional moments of refreshment occurred while wading through pools of water as I made my way upstream.  Having a chance to go enjoy the outdoors the day after everyone went back to work after the Memorial holiday, this was a holiday for me.  Taking my fly rod and reel, I explored a local creek and was kept entertained by the small fish going after my insect imitations.  While I have fished bigger bodies of water this year, there was something about catching these small fish from a small pool with the sound of babbling water in the background that took me back to earlier years when I would explore creeks with my cousin.  It was just simple fun without the complications of the "grownup" world.  No facades, politics, electronics or any of the other things that burden us once we cross over from Never Neverland into the adult world.  It was just me, the fish and an occasional small snake slithering to get away from an intruder.  And to emphasize the point, slipping on a rock during the excursion and taking some water into the waders was initially annoying but then it dawned on me that it was actually fun and refreshing.   I also ruined the cell phone that I had with me but that again just seemed to expose the layers of stuff that I have accumulated in this age of material and quite frankly really unimportant busy body-ness.  I rediscovered that I was a person who enjoyed the simple things in life and I was where I belonged.  It just took a dunking to help wash away some of the complexities.

No comments:

Post a Comment