Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Rocket is Bigger Than Yours



On my way to work one morning and I pulled off from the major highway to take a photo of downtown Cincinnati's latest addition.  Yes, I am talking about the Great American Tower or the building that looks like a rocket or perhaps a thing of lipstick. For the longest time, I thought construction of the building was not yet complete but then learned the steel dome on top is supposed to represent the tiara worn by the late Princess Diana from Wales.  The architect, Gyo Obata did this in reference to the city of Cincinnati also being known as the Queen City.  It is an odd building and viewing this rocket building between the two P&G towers from I-71 can be viewed as being complementary to the surrounding architecture or a salute to Cincinnati's German heritage and weinersnitchel.  So for the time being, this is the tallest building in downtown Cincinnati with 41 floors and a height of 665 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment