Saturday, November 10, 2012

Bring Back the Fall Bite

The early cold of winter is quickly coming as the sharp biting wind blew across my exposed face and wet hands.  Thoughts of my wool gloves that I used last winter flashed into my mind as I stood on the banks of the Little Miami River.



The 5 weight fly line chaffed my fingers as I pulled inch by inch to hopefully entice a lethargic fish to grab my presentation, a green and white clouser minnow.  The crsytal clear water was cold and the sounds of a crow broke the otherwise silent air.  The fish were not where they were during the autumn smallmouth bass season.  The thoughts of violent smallmouth straining against the line warmed my current situation.



Standing in the cold water, I was after white bass and hybrids.  The white bass and hybrids were following the shad migration along the river.  Weeks earlier one could see the schools and a fishing net could easily scoop them up for use as garden hackle (live bait).  The fish were inhaling these shad to fatten up and prepare for the cold winter months ahead.


 

Needless to say, the finny denizens of the river were not interested in my feather and fur offers so I ended up looking for nice spots in the future and getting a better understanding of river structure and habitats.  There were some areas that looked great but my waders were not sufficient and thoughts of a nice watercraft like a pontoon entertained my thoughts.



Hopefully I can make it up to the northern parts to go after some chrome (huge rainbow trout after their lake/sea migration aka steel head).  That would make a nice end to an otherwise great fishing season.  Till next time, tight lines.








No comments:

Post a Comment